The mission of the Finance Department is to manage, support, and facilitate quality customer support, financial planning and analysis, budgeting, financial reporting, and the audit of the City of El Cerrito and to enhance the delivery of financial information to the organization and to the community. This is accomplished by:
- Developing and maintaining financial reporting systems to support the effective and efficient operations of the organization and to keep the public, City Council, and City management apprised of the financial condition of the City
- Focusing financial resource issues for the development of appropriate financial policies
- Promoting effective service delivery through continued development of departmental employees
- Providing budgeting, accounting, treasury, billing and collection, accounts payable, payroll, and other financial functions
- Budget and financial reporting inquiries: 510-215-4323
- Accounts Payable: 510-215-4311
- Business Licenses: 510-215-4335
- Fax: 510-215-4379
In 2013, the City received a “Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting” from the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (or ”CAFR”) for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2012. The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in the area of governmental accounting and financial reporting, and its attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management. This is the ninth consecutive year the City has received this award.
In 2013, the City also received a "Distinguished Budget Presentation Award" from GFOA for its budget for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2012, highlighting the City's commitment to meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.