2021 Call for artist residency
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Deadline: 4 p.m., Friday, November 19, 2021.
The City of El Cerrito invites artists to apply for a nine-month residency taking place at the El Cerrito Recycling + Environmental Resource Center (“RERC” or “Center”).
The purpose of the program is to support local artists who work with recycled materials, and to encourage environmental stewardship – specifically resource conservation, recycling and upcycling – in the community through art that inspires people to think about sustainability and consumption.
The El Cerrito Creative ReUse (“ECCRU”) Artist Residency provides the artist with: a stipend, access to materials at the RERC for use in artistic projects, an on-site storage bin for materials, and support for an exhibition at the end of the residency. Artwork will be created in the artist’s own workspace, which is not provided. We encourage artists working in all mediums to apply, including but not limited to, painters, textile artists, musicians, performers, photographers, printmakers, those working in film and video, and conceptual and installation artists.
**DOWNLOAD ECCRU CFA HERE**
**DOWNLOAD 2021 ECCRU ANNOUNCEMENT FLYER HERE**
The City requires that all submissions be provided online only. If this proves to be a hurdle, please contact Lina Huang at email@example.com or at (510) 215-4371 to make alternative arrangements for submitting application requirements. Please submit all materials by clicking on the Apply Now icon above.
To apply, the applicant must provide:
- Completed online application.
- Professional Resume and Exhibition List: Please do not send more than three pages. Please arrange your exhibition list by year and indicate solo versus group shows.
- Images and image list:
- Please submit 10 images. Please use good quality images no larger than 2 MB each. Images must be accompanied by an image list in a text file with title, date, size, media and, if applicable, description and/or conceptual intent. Additional information, if applicable, could include site, commissioning person or agency, and budget. Installations or 3-dimensional work may be illustrated by multiple images.
- Video & Audio: You may submit a maximum of optional two video or two audio files or web links to the files. You may submit a combination of images, video, and audio as long as the total number of files does not exceed 10. We accept only MPEG-4 video files and all standard audio files. Each video and/or audio clip must be no longer than one minute, and each must be accompanied by a description in the image list.
- Describe your goal - a succinct statement of what you hope to accomplish.
- Describe specific projects you have in mind, if any, and how you would go about executing them.
- Describe the types of materials you are most interested in and indicate whether you anticipate wanting to request donations of specific materials from the public towards your artwork.
- Describe your anticipated fabrication methods, and your experience with those methods. e. Describe how your goal and proposed projects meet the selection criteria specified above.
The ECCRU Artist must:
- Be either a resident of or work in Contra Costa or Alameda County
- Be at least 18 years old
- Demonstrate a commitment to upcycling and creative reuse
- Artists must attend a tour of the RERC on Wednesday, November 3, 2021 at 3:00p.m. – 4:00p.m. at the RERC. If you are unable to make this time/date, please contact Lina Huang at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (510) 215-4371.
- Artists must demonstrate that creation of the artwork will be conducted in a safe workspace with the proper tools required for the chosen mediums. If deemed appropriate, the Artist must conduct a site visit to their workspace as part of the interview process.
Length of Term
The ECCRU Artist Residency is a nine-month term. However, at the discretion of the El Cerrito Arts and Culture Commission (“ACC” or “Commission”), the term is negotiable up to 12 months.
The Artist will receive a stipend of $100 per month of the nine-month residency.
Proposals are due by 4:00p.m. on Friday, November 19, 2021.
All questions regarding this Call for Artists are to be directed to Alexandra Orologas, Assistant City Manager, City of El Cerrito, (510) 215-4302 or Email: email@example.com