Community Development Department
The mission of the Community Development Department is to deliver services, projects and programs that provide a safe, connected, environmentally-focused and high quality of life in El Cerrito. The Department achieves this mission through planning and implementing programs and private and public development projects that promote community, environmental quality and economic vitality.
Department OverviewThe Community Development Department provides the community with innovative and practical solutions to enhance a prosperous, healthy and sustainable city through the following divisions and programs:
- Affordable Housing: high quality affordable housing development; affordable housing opportunities; housing policy and programs.
- Building: plan review and inspection services; community outreach and education; enforcement of State building regulations.
- Code Enforcement: ensure that building and zoning ordinances are followed by responding to citizen complaints and proactively investigating violations.
- Economic Development: development services; job creation; private investment and small business support.
- Planning: development review process; City codes, plans and regulations; long-range planning efforts
Over the past several years the short-term rental industry has grown dramatically across the country. The City of El Cerrito seeks to ensure the safety of residents and visitors to our City and to ensure the compatibility of land uses in the City’s residential neighborhoods. In order to achieve these goals, the City of El Cerrito regulates short -term rentals as outlined in the Frequently Asked Questions.
Sign up for the Community Development E-Newsletter to receive regular email updates about community development plans, projects and events by filling out the form below.