Courts & Play Fields
please keep in mind that during this time, while the restrooms are being cleaned, the playgrounds and picnic tables are not being cleaned. We ask that you do not use the playgrounds or picnic tables and keep to open areas with social distance to help prevent to spread of covid-19.
Tennis & Pickleball Courts
Tennis Courts are located at Arlington, Canyon Trail, Castro, Harding, Tassajara and Cerrito Vista parks. The courts at Cerrito Vista have lights for use from sundown to 10:00pm. The courts at Castro Park are additionally lined for Pickleball.
Both courts at Cerrito Vista Park will be CLOSED to the public weekdays from July 27th- August 12th between the hours of 8:30am-4:30pm to accommodate City youth tennis camps.
One court is available for reservation at each of the above parks, while the other is open on a first come, first serve basis (with the exception of Arlington Park where 2 of the 3 courts are available for reservation). Court reservations are issued by the City of El Cerrito Recreation Department by going online to www.el-cerrito.org/onlinereg. For help making online reservations, click here.
Please note effective May 2020, reservations will only be accepted online (please do not email requests). All reservations are final and no refund or transfer requests will be processed. At the time of booking, a reservation receipt will be issued. Please bring reservation receipt with you as proof of priority use of the courts. Proceeds from this program help to resurface and maintain the courts.
|Court Reservation Fee||$10/hr||$12/hr||$16/hr|
|Instructor Permit Cost||$27/year (July1-June30)||$27/year (July1-June30)|
*Tennis Instructors must reserve tennis courts if charging students for private/group lessons. Instructors must obtain a City of El Cerrito business license, Tennis Instructor Permit, and be a USTA or USPTR teaching professional. For more information on obtaining a Tennis Instructor Permit, click here.
Due to COVID-19 all Play Fields are CLOSED to sports and other group activities, with the following exceptions per the Contra Costa County Health Order: 1) Recreation activities by members of the same household are permitted. 2) “Children’s Extracurricular Activity Unit” or any organized youth play as allowed by the Contra Costa County Health Order are permitted only with a special permit issued by the El Cerrito Recreation Department.
Grass Play Fields (primarily for soccer, baseball and/or softball) are located at Canyon Trail, Castro, Central, Cerrito Vista, Fairmont, Harding and Tassajara Parks.
|Field Reservation Fee||$30/hr||$41/hr|
|Cerrito Vista Hardball Field Reservation Fee||$42/hr||$52/hr|
Field reservations are issued by the City of El Cerrito Recreation Department. To request a field reservation permit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Organized group play is NOT ALLOWED without an approved field permit.
Once an application is received, please allow up to two business days for review. Applicants will be notified if their request is approved or if not (in which case alternate fields or times will be offered if possible). If reservation request is approved, applicant will receive a reservation receipt once applicable fees are paid. Please bring receipt with you as proof of priority use of the field. Proceeds from this program help to maintain the fields.
Other Helpful Information
- All reservations are subject to availability. Reservations are allowed Monday through Sunday beginning at Sunup until Sundown (with the exception of Cerrito Vista Tennis Courts).
- All parks are open to the public. Field and tennis court renters do not get exclusive access to the park, only to the specific court or field being reserved.
- Picnic Sites, Clubhouses and other sites are not included in Tennis Court or Field rentals and must be reserved separately.
- Nearby Picnic Areas and Clubhouses may be rented by other parties at the same time as field or tennis court rentals.
- For safety and sanitary reasons, park restrooms are kept locked. To obtain a key, visit the El Cerrito Community or Swim Center and pay the $20 deposit. As of March 16, 2020: Please note Recreation Department offices are currently closed and restroom key pick-up is unavailable. Restrooms may be inaccessible to the public at this time.