The El Cerrito PD has several volunteer Reserve Officers. Some are retired Police Officers, some are working towards becoming full-time Police Officers and some have other careers and choose to serve the community part-time.
Our reserve officers gain experience working with each division of the department Field Operations, Special Operations and Administration.
Reserve Officers are often are called upon to assist during emergencies or special events. Common assignments include:
• Routine Patrol
• School Resource Officer assignments
• Sobriety Checkpoints
• Bicycle Patrol
• Motorcycle Patrol
• Traffic control at parades and special events
• Decoy function during special enforcement programs
• Assisting detectives with search and arrest warrant service operations
• Access control at major crime scenes
The Reserve Unit includes its own rank structure, including reserve sergeant and reserve captain. The ECPD continuously accepts applications for Reserve Officer. We provide all uniforms, weapons and safety equipment to Reserve Officers. Reserves may participate in all Department training activities and Special Assignments. Our Reserve Officers regularly exceed POST training standards.