Items NOT accepted at the El Cerrito Recycling Center
Please use our helpful Resource Information Guide to find options for items we cannot take that are included below.
- Air Conditioners
- Automotive tires
- Automotive fluids like coolant, gasoline etc.
- Ballasts from electrical lighting fixtures
- Bricks, pavers, broken concrete, ceramics
- Foam Rubber
- Garbage, Construction Debris
- Green Waste: Wood, Grass, Yard Waste, Dirt, Food Scraps
- Mattresses and Boxsprings
- Mirrors of any type
- Paint of any type
- Food-soiled Paper, Plastic, and Cardboard (please compost food-soiled paper products. Please wash and recycle soiled plastics); "Kleenex" tissues
- Peanuts - any type of packaging peanuts. Donate to UPS, Fedex or other packing stores.
- Sheet glass (like plexiglass and plate glass)
- Pressurized Tanks: Propane, Acetylene, Helium, Nitrous Oxide, or Aerosols
- Pyrex glass
- Refrigerators, water coolers
- Smoke detectors - USPS info on disposal
- Toilets - Urban Ore store will accept toilets [fee applies]
- VHS, zip disks, audio cassette tapes (We are temporarily not accepting anything with magnetic tape due to a change in the market. No one is taking them. Please check back. Commercially recorded tapes can be donated at Goodwill.)
- Waxed Paper, Waxed Cardboard (please compost)
- Wood: lumber, broken furniture (check with us for additional options)
Options for disposing of items not accepted at the Recycling Center
Note: fees may apply - call for details
The Golden Bear Transfer Station and West Contra Costa County Landfill are located at 1 Parr Boulevard in Richmond. The Berkeley Transfer Station is located at 1201 Second Street in Berkeley.
For additional resources and information on recycling, check Recyclemore (Contra Costa County) and Stopwaste (Alameda County). For information on where to properly dispose of household hazardous waste, check West Contra Costa County HHW or Alameda County HHW. (Proof of residency is required at HHW facilities.)
The Recycling Center does not buy back any materials from the public. For the locations of California Refund Value (CRV) Centers, check CalRecycle.