ATTENTION: COVID-19 Resources for Local Businesses – CLICK HERE
Economic Development Division
The Economic Development program works to:
- Facilitate private investment by property owners, developers, and businesses, which will benefit the community through increased and diversified tax revenues, access to new local jobs, housing, and goods and services
- Provide customer-friendly, responsive, efficient, and accurate services to developers and businesses
- Use economic development tools to help attract, retain, and improve existing and new businesses, and fiscal conditions in El Cerrito
- Improve the aesthetics of the commercial areas
- Invest in public improvements to serve the community and encourage private investment
- Develop affordable housing programs and projects throughout the community to address the great need for such housing
On March 15, 2016, the City adopted the 2016 Economic Development Action Plan.
vision for san pablo avenue
The City Council adopted the 2014 San Pablo Avenue Specific Plan (Plan) to provide quality residential housing units and to support economic development along the Avenue. The Plan aims to support both residential and commercial uses as well as multi modal access through the Complete Streets chapter. As of February 2020, approximately 1150 new residential housing units, 124 new hotel rooms, and 29,000 square feet of new commercial space (representing 8-12 spaces for new businesses) have been approved on 17 sites. To view the development map, please click here. You can also access detailed project information by visiting: www.el-cerrito.org/majorprojects. If you are interested in learning more about the upcoming commercial spaces, contact Jennifer Peat.
The Economic Development Committee is Recruiting!
The City's Economic Development Committee is looking for new members to help advise City Council on economic development matters, make recommendations on the annual economic development work plan, provide input to other city boards and commissions, review progress towards achieving long range economic development goals, encourage community involvement, and serve as a resource to residents, businesses and other community members.
The Economic Development Committee meets on the 3rd Monday of the month at 7:00p.m. in El Cerrito City Hall's Hillside (upstairs) Conference room. For more information, please visit the Economic Development Committee webpage.
To apply, please download the application form and return to the City Clerk.
Please visit the links below to find resources for businesses and other services in Contra Costa County:
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- Contra Costa Small Business Development Center
- Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center
- Food Service Technology Center
- East Bay Express Good Local Money Guide (2015)
- CalCAP/ADA – Private loans to small businesses to support Americans with Disabilities Act compliance
- CalCAP/EVCS – Private loans to small businesses to support installation and acquisition of electric vehicle infrastructure
- Market Analytics
Subscribe to the Community Development E-Newsletter:
Sign up for the Community Development E-Newsletter to receive regular email updates about community development plans, projects and events by filling out this form.