Community Development Department
The mission of the Community Development Department is to deliver services, projects and programs that provide a safe, connected, environmentally-focused and high quality of life in El Cerrito. The Department achieves this mission through planning and implementing programs and private and public development projects that promote community, environmental quality and economic vitality.
Department OverviewThe Community Development Department provides the community with innovative and practical solutions to enhance a prosperous, healthy and sustainable city through the following divisions and programs:
- Affordable Housing: high quality affordable housing development; affordable housing opportunities; housing policy and programs.
- Building: plan review and inspection services; community outreach and education; enforcement of State building regulations.
- Code Enforcement: ensure that building and zoning ordinances are followed by responding to citizen complaints and proactively investigating violations.
- Economic Development: development services; job creation; private investment and small business support.
- Planning: development review process; City codes, plans and regulations; long-range planning efforts.
CURRENT eventsEffective May 7, 2018, the Fees for the Community Development Department are changing!
nEW COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT FEES
Please see the new Fee Schedule.
Effective July 1, 2018, a New City-wide Master Fee Schedule will go into effect. The 2018-2019 Master Fee Sheet may be found here. All of the new Community Development Fees are folded into the New Master Fee Schedule, with a few important exceptions.
All Planning and Building Permit fees for Accessory Dwelling Units will be discounted by 50%!
And, further discounted 5% more if the design implements Universal Design Elements!
In addition, all Building Permit fees for multiple Electric Vehicle Commercial Charging Stations are being subsidized by the City of El Cerrito to encourage and facilitate their numbers growing, citywide.
Click here to view the e-packet for the Council Meeting