Starting July 1, 2020, all rental properties will be required to register or renew their applications through the City’s online portal by July 31, 2020. Paper applications will not be accepted. The annual fee is $39 per unit for the reporting period of July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020. Once registration begins, staff will be available for questions during designated office hours and will create online tutorials to guide property owners/manager through this process. Detailed instructions, including online account access information, will be provided with Business License Renewal Notices will be mailed in late June. Please check back in mid-June for 2020 program materials.
On May 21, 2019, the City Council adopted the Rent Registry Ordinance, El Cerrito Municipal Code Chapter 10.100 (Ordinance No. 2019-03), effective June 20, 2019. The ordinance establishes an annual reporting requirement to submit data into a City database information regarding rents and other relevant information about rental units during the annual business license renewal process. The annual reporting requirement applies to all owners of residential rental property, with some exceptions. The data collected will be used to inform the City Council about the rental market, trends and housing stock in El Cerrito. The City Council has not, at this time, provided any direction for the Rent Registry to be used to regulate rents in the City. Participation in the program is mandatory.
Business License Renewal Notices and Rent Registry Forms were mailed to property owners/managers on June 13, 2019. The 2019 Rent Registration database will be open on Monday, July 1st. Property owners/managers must register by close of business on Wednesday, July 31, 2019. Please be advised that the deadline has been extended until August 30, 2019. Failure to submit by the deadline could result in administrative penalties and enforcement proceedings. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted. The City will exercise all available remedies to ensure that all residential rental properties are compliant.
Summary of Requirements
- Applicability: All residential rental properties in El Cerrito, including single-family residences and Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) are subject to reporting.
- Registration fee: $44.00/per unit.
- Reporting Period: July 2017 – June 2019.
- Exceptions: Hotels/motels, bed & breakfast, affordable housing, on-site manger units.
Note: Please review the ordinance for all legal requirements.
Property owners/managers are encouraged to renew business licenses and complete the rent registry electronically. In order to prepare for your submission, please compile your documents/records, including: unit/property address, square footage, rents for the past 24-months and tenancy dates.
- To submit your response and registration fees electronically through our secure online database, click (Weblink Available Beginning 7/1/2019).
- To submit your response by paper, you can mail or deliver your completed form and registration fees to: City of El Cerrito 10890 San Pablo Avenue, El Cerrito, CA 94530
Important Documents and Information
Click below to view:
- Rent Registry Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- – Online Form (Weblink Available on 7/1/2019)
- 2019 Rent Registry Form – Paper Form (Submit by mail or in-person on/after 7/1/2019)
- 2019 Rent Registry – Registration Amendment Form (Coming Soon)
- Rent Registry Ordinance
- Business Licenses in El Cerrito
- Business License Renewal FAQ
- Background Information: Tenant Protections
- Just Cause for Eviction and Harassment Protections
- Affordable Housing in El Cerrito
Please subscribe to the Community Development Department E-News www.el-cerrito.org/CommDev to learn about future workshop dates and other program announcements.
For any questions, please contact our office.
The City's normal business hours are listed below.
- Monday Wednesday and alternate Friday’s 8am – 4pm
- Tuesday and Thursday 8am – 6pm.
10890 San Pablo Avenue
El Cerrito, CA 94530