Public Works Department

Public Works Services during the COVID-19 Emergency

Please see below for Public Works services and assistance available during this COVID-19 public health emergency.  We encourage the public to conduct all possible business via email and phone.  We will do our best to respond to you in a timely manner, but response times may be delayed.   Updated information on all City services is available at


Curbside recycling and solid waste services are continuing and the Recycling Center Drop-Off Area is open to the public with limited servicesFor any Recycling and integrated waste related questions, please contact or (510) 215-4350.  For more information, visit the Recycling + Environmental Resource Center page.


For any maintenance request or concern related to street trees, streets, storm drains, streetlights, and parks, etc., please contact Maintenance at or (510) 215-4369. For more information visit the Maintenance Services page.

In case of an urgent Maintenance issue, such as flooding, after regular business hours or during a weekend or holiday, please call El Cerrito Police Dispatch (Non-Emergency) at (510) 233-1214.

Engineering Services 

Holiday Schedule for Encroachment Permit Applications and Inspections
City Hall offices will be closed for the holidays beginning at close of business on December 23, 2020 until January 4, 2021 at 8 AM. Applications for permits must be submitted no later than 12 PM (noon) on December 17, 2020 or they will not be processed until January 4, 2021. Permitted projects needing an inspection (during this time or) on January 4 or 5 must make a request by 4 PM on December 17. Inspector availability during the closure period is extremely limited and only inspections, such as those needed for emergency work will be scheduled during this time. Inspection requests can be made by calling 510-215-4382.

For any Encroachment Permit related questions, please email or call the Engineering Division at (510) 215-4382. For further information on how to submit an encroachment permit application, schedule inspections and required documentation to include with your permit application, please visit our Encroachment Permit page here: 

For any Capital Improvements Projects, please contact Ana Bernardes, Engineering Manager/Senior Engineer at or call the Engineering Division at (510) 215-4382.  Please see here for more information on our current projects: Capital Improvement Projects.

For any Traffic Requests, such as red curb marking or blue curb applications, please email

We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we try and navigate through this difficult time.