The City recently completed an exciting multi-year project to enhance San Pablo Avenue. The goal of the project is to identify El Cerrito as a distinct place along the Avenue, enhance the economic vitality of the area, and create a better walking environment.
In 2011, the City and the El Cerrito Redevelopment Agency completed the following improvements:
- New medians south of Central Avenue
- Eight new crosswalks
- Pedestrian safety improvements - such as countdown pedestrian crossing signals and in-pavement flashing crosswalks in some locations
- Historic-Cultural Sidewalk Pavers
- Upgraded landscaping
- New street furnishings including benches and bike racks
- Additional street trees
- Upgraded transit stops with new benches and trash/recycling bins
- Demonstration rain gardens
- Public Art
The Redevelopment Agency had already installed new signage, street banners, created Gateway Park (at Baxter Creek), as well as completed landscaping and irrigation renovations in existing medians.
For information on the multi-phased San Pablo Avenue Streetscape project including overall scope and schedule of the project, download the following documents: