Citywide Garage Sale
saturday, May 13, 2023
The Spring Citywide Garage Sale is scheduled to occur on May 13th, 2023, from 9 am to 3 pm. Registration forms with the non-refundable $25 fee are due Friday, April 14th, 2023, which allows enough time to create the map. The map will be available on Monday, May 1st, about one week prior to the event.
Is your garage filling up with unused items that is just collecting dust, begging for a new home? Do you have bicycles, clothing, shoes, Knick Knacks, and/or puzzles that someone else could use? Perhaps, you make jewelry, propagate plants, or are an artist.
Consider hosting a garage sale at your home, school, or church. You can host a sale as a single family or collaborate with multiple households.
- Download and legibly complete the Spring Citywide Garage Sale Registration Form
- REQUIRED - a non-refundable registration fee of $25
- Make all checks payable to the City of El Cerrito
- You don't have to mail the registration form with payment. Please drop it off at one of the following locations: The Recycling Center office at (7501 Schmidt Lane), the Community Center office at (7007 Moeser Lane) or at City Hall front counter at (10890 San Pablo Avenue) in El Cerrito.
- Online Registration OPENS on Friday, January 6th, 2023!!!
Questions?Contact us via email or call us at 510.215.4350.
please note: This event is rain or shine. In inclement weather including poor air quality due to wildfire smoke, it will be the host's purview to cancel or proceed.
dID You Know?
In 1990, El Cerrito resident, Marianne Hegeman, proposed the concept of a Citywide Garage Sale to the El Cerrito City Council. Hegeman, an avid proponent of reuse and recycling, got the idea shortly after the Loma Prieta earthquake in October 1989, when many residents in El Cerrito could not have their home foundations inspected because their garages were packed full of stuff. The City Council endorsed the idea and the City has held one or two garage sales per year ever since.
Each year the City’s Recycling + Environmental Resource Center designates a date for residents who want to participate and hold their own garage sales. The City then advertises and promotes the event, attracting shoppers from all over the East Bay. The event not only promotes reuse, it also gives residents a chance to get rid of clutter; it is a fun community event and a chance to get to know neighbors.