As of April 2012, the City allows residents to keep the following animals:
• Dogs—County license required
• Cats—County license optional
• Domestic Rodents (e.g. rats, hamsters, and guinea pigs)
• Domestic reptiles and amphibians (e.g. lizards, snakes, frogs and turtles)
• Domestic Insects (other than honeybees) and other commonly kept arthropods (e.g. ants, spiders, millipedes, and hermit crabs)
• Birds, if kept indoors and not permitted to fly freely. (Birds flying freely or birds kept outdoors require a conditional use permit.)
• Chickens (hens only), honeybees, pigs and goats (as pets, or for personal sustainability at a hobby level only) with a City permit.
Wild or exotic animals are regulated by County and State law and shall not be permitted without a conditional use permit.
All animal-related home businesses (e.g. kennels, animals breeding, animal daycare, or selling animal products) require a conditional use permit.